For those who have arrived here via search engine, this is (bonus) Part Four of a response to a reader question, “How do I go about starting a Federal Career”? I recommend you start with Part One of the response to catch up.
So, you wan to be a Fed, huh? Let’s review the traditional advantages to being a Fed: Continue reading
The Treasury Secretary announced (again) that the US Government will be raiding the TSP G Fund to avoid/prolong hitting the next Debt Ceiling threshold. While pretty much everything I have to say about the TSP raids has already been said here, I find it morbidly amusing that the Treasury Department now considers what were once ‘extraordinary’ borrowing measures to be ‘the standard set of extraordinary measures’.
In other TSP news:
- FERS Participation rate in the TSP is now over 87%.
- Average account balances are over $95,000.
- Roth accounts continue to grow in popularity- There have been 20,000 Roth accounts added per month since November 2012. There are now almost 170,000 Roth TSP accounts.
- TSP investors are ‘hopping on the bandwagon’ and shifting investments away from the G Fund and into C/S/L Funds.
Subscribe to GubMints:
Book Review: The Alternative Answer: The Nontraditional Investments That Drive The World’s Best-Performing Portfolios by Bob Rice.
Bob is the Alternative Investments Editor for Bloomberg TV and is the Managing Partner of merchant bank Tangent Capital, and serves on boards of investment management firms with over $2 billion of ‘Alternative’ assets under management.
The Alternative Answer is divided into multiple sections:
The Alternative Manifesto
Major Alternative Strategies
Major Alternative Structures
Higher, Inflation-Protected Income (Job 1)
Broadening the Base for Risk Reduction (Job 2)
Long-Term Growth Enhancement (Job 3)
Purchasing Power Protection (Job 4)
At the Dealership
Manifesto: There are four mandatory tasks for investments:
- Job 1: Generate income that is greater than typical fixed income (bonds), with focus on income that rises with inflation.
- Job 2: Reduce overall risk by diversifying broadly across different strategies and asset classes.
- Job 3: Enhance long-term growth with opportunities that have more upside than traditional investments (stocks).
- Job 4: Protect Purchasing Power from inflation, currency devaluation and panics.
You all know GubMints is a big fan of the TSP. There was lots of TSP info that got buried in the news cycle last week- Some good, some not so good. The not-so-good is that it appears TSP is preparing to duplicate some of the functions of the Census Bureau.
TSP released results of a 4-Year study of Participant Behavior and Demographics.
Here are the key findings of the 2006-2010 TSP study: Continue reading